It’s time to show off your green thumb at the 2017 AIGA Student Portfolio Forum. This year’s horticultural theme is Growing Your Portfolio, so get ready to prepare to cultivate your ideas and harvest the rewards of your creative work! What should you plant? Which seedlings should you cultivate? Which crops should you slash-and-burn? Reap the advice of industry professionals during one-on-one portfolio reviews by showing off your budding ideas to your peers. Learn what employers will be looking for and create your post-harvest strategy.
Mark your calendars!
Grow Your Portfolio: SPF 2017
April 7-8, 2017
Wichita State University Hughes Metroplex
With SPF 2017, you can pick your level of involvement:
$35, The Plantsman — Afternoon workshop breakouts, lunch, and keynote.
Not sure about showing your work? No problem! Join us for lunch and the keynote presentation, then attend the afternoon breakout sessions and view the portfolios in the competition. It will help you size up your competition for next year’s event.
$50, The Landscaper — Review, workshop breakouts, lunch, and keynote.
You know you need to get feedback on your work no matter where you are in your education. Good for you! This level will provide valuable information for you about how your work stacks up and what you need to work on before launching into the real world.
$60, Master Gardener — Competition, review, workshop breakouts, lunch, and keynote.
This is the package for the committed attendee. Not only do you understand the need for feedback, you are willing to step in the ring and put your work up against other students. Good for you and good luck!
$15, The Groundskeeper — Faculty ticket for lunch and keynote presentation.
We always appreciate the involvement of university faculty. Come along and encourage your students and hear our keynote speaker.
$15, Recent Grads & High School Students — ticket for lunch and keynote presentation.
Are you curious about our event and want to meet students, faculty, and local designers? Join us for lunchtime activities and see this year's college crop!.
Final Registration deadline is April 6, 2017.
Refund Policy: 50% refunds will be given for registrations cancelled by March 15, 2017. No refunds will be given after March 15th.
Friday, April 7, 2017
4:00–5:30 pm — Wichita Studio Tours
Tours are FREE for students participating in SPF. Choose your preferred group when you register. Space is limited, and students must provide their own transportation.
Group A: Cassandra Bryan Design / Brothers & Company
Group B: Apples & Arrows / Brothers & Company
Group C: Howerton+White / Brothers & Company
Group D: Jajo / Brothers & Company
6:00–7:30 pm — SPF Kick Off Party
Join us for a mixer at the Monarch to kick off SPF 2017. Meet new people, play games, and calm your nerves. This event is free to students participating in SPF.
Saturday April 8, 2017
All activities on Saturday will take place at WSU’s Hughes Metropolitan Complex.
9:30–10:00 am — Check-in/Registration (Master Gardeners, Landscapers, Groundskeepers)
10:00–12:00 pm — Session 1: Portfolio Review and Workshop Breakout Sessions
Portfolio Review for Master Gardeners. Workshop sessions open for Landscapers.
12:00–12:30 pm — Competition setup (Master Gardeners) and Afternoon Check-in (Plantsman, High School/Recent Grads)
12:00–12:45 pm — Lunch (all attendees) - Student Icebreaker Activity
12:45–1:45 pm — Keynote: Leif Steiner of Moxie Sozo (all attendees)
2:00–4:00 pm — Session 2: Portfolio Review and Workshop Breakout Sessions
Portfolio Review for Landscapers. Workshop sessions for Master Gardeners and Plantsman attendees.
4:15–4:30 pm — Awards and Adjournment (all attendees)
- Tables will be provided. There will be one student per table.
- Electronic portfolios will need enough battery power to last through the judging. Electricity cannot be guaranteed and will not be provided. It is suggested to bring a back up laptop battery source.
- Thirty minutes will be given to setup portfolios after the morning review session.
- Competition portfolios will be reviewed during the breakout sessions in the afternoon (Those not in the competition, go to breakout sessions in the morning and portfolio review in the afternoon).
- Competition judging begins at 1:45 pm and goes until completed.
- A monitor will be present in the room throughout the process.
Cash prizes and prizes will be awarded to the winners of these ten categories:
- Best Interactive Design – sponsored by Howerton + White
- Best Illustration – sponsored by AIGA Wichita
- Best Typography – sponsored by Jajo
- Best Photography – sponsored by McPherson College
- Best Packaging Design – sponsored by Wichita State University
- Best Logo Design< – sponsored by Newman University
- Best Ad Campaign – sponsored by Brothers & Co
- Best Motion Graphics – sponsored by Friends University
- 2nd Place Portfolio – sponsored by Greteman Group
- 1st Place Portfolio – sponsored by Gardner Design
Sponsors and Volunteers
If your organization is looking for a connection to future designers or values the education process, we have several sponsorship opportunities for you.
If you are interested in volunteering to be a portfolio reviewer, contact the AIGA Wichita Programming Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to help out with setup and cleanup as a general SPF volunteer, please register here. Your lunch is on us!
This event can only continue to grow with the participation by area businesses and volunteers in the form of sponsorships, partnerships and community support.
SPF is an annual event intended to elevate design students in their pursuit of a design career. SPF has been an integral part in encouraging graduating design students to pursue excellence in their work and achieve success on their search for employment in design-related fields.